Monday, August 11, 2008



WEEKEND STUFF

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I went to my hometown of North Ridgeville to run in the Lions Club 10K(6.2-miles) race. I came in 1st in my age group, 40-44 and 4th overall with a time of 41:37. My next race will be Sunday in the “Perfect 10-miler” in Lyndhurst, Ohio.
After the race I went to the North Ridgeville “corn Festival” this is the annual home town celebration. Hung out with a friend in the soccer tent and then met up with another in the beer tent.
Alright, here are some of my observations from the weekend in particular the “Corn Fest.”
1) When you move away from your home town then come back you expect it to be the same but, it’s not. All new people, every street has a new look new business etc.
2) Fair food is really greasy and bad for you yet taste so good!!
3) THE BEER TENT IS NOT WHAT IT WAS WHEN I WAS GROWING UP.

Growing up in North Ridgeville, Ohio and going to the Corn Fest you couldn’t wait to be old enough to get into the beer tent. While growing up it always appeared the adults in the beer ten were having so much fun… they had to be because “NO KIDS ALLOWED.”

This year, for the first time ever, I went into the “beer tent” and boy was I disappointed!! Like I said, growing up there were no kids allowed in the beer tent PERIOD. You would try and barge in to the tent to get money from dad but if dad didn’t catch you someone else’s dad did and stopped you. I remember yelling over the fence asking dad for more money. I’d either get some money or get a ‘NO, now go away!”

The “beer tent” this year was filled with children! Children dancing to the band, baby’s in strollers, teens taking up room at picnic tables sitting with mom and dad. I have kids but knew I was going to the beer tent so there were no children…so I thought!

Also, choice of beer was watered down, warm draft beer. Not my first choice!

With that said, it led me to think of things that looked so cool and fun as a kid but when you were finally able to do it you were disappointed.

Here’s my list:
A) Growing up. When you’re little it’s all you want to do! What I’d do to be a kid again.
B) Driving. Wish I had someone to drive me around!
C) Beer tent and you now know how that turned out
D) Staying out/up late. As an adult if I’m not asleep before the 11:00 news that’s a late night.

Please, help add to my list, drop a comment on things you always wanted to do as a kid but now that you’re grown up, not what you though it would be!
You can include things you “had to have” as a kid but once you got what you wanted it was not “all that.

BUT ARE THEY WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD?

The USA men's Basketball team began their quest for gold yesterday by easily beating China. As I was watching all I could think was how much money was on the court. Is the men's USA Basketball team worth their weight in gold, check this out.

The collected 2008-2009 salaries of Team USA tops out at a whopping $160,552,279.
1) Gold is trading right now at $856 an ounce.2) Team USA weighs a collective 2,707 lbs., which is 43,312 ounces.3) With a salaried value of $160,552,279, that means that the team is worth $3,706 per ounce, or a little over four times the value of gold!

There you have it!

Now my touchy feel good story for today. (we need that on a Monday)

Sidney Ross, 13 raised $1,173 dollars Saturday morning selling Lemonade to raise money for children with cancer.
Sidney’s money will be pooled with money collected at similar stands nationwide to support Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation.

The foundation was started by Alexandra Scott, a Pennsylvania girl who told her parents in 2000 that she wanted to have a lemonade stand to raise money to fight cancer for all children with the disease, the same disease that was killing her.

To date, these lemonade stands have raised more than $20 million to fund 80 research projects nationally. For more information on this foundation or holding a lemonade stand fund-raiser, visit the Web site at http://www.alexslemonade.org/.




More Olympic stuff…
It was learned yesterday that the elaborate pyrotechnics display broadcast to the world as part of the opening ceremony for Bejing Olympics was faked, done digitally in 3-D computer graphics.
The Beijing Olympic Committee defended the ruse because of the city’s hazy, smoggy skies, would have made such an elaborate fireworks display at night too difficult to pull off successfully.
A Committee members also said they were concerned that the helicopter pilot who would have flown overhead to film the fireworks would have been “at risk by making him try to follow the firework route.


You got to love the creativity of people on the internet. Check out these photoshopped pics. Of President Bush at the beach Volleyball games over the weekend.




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! I second that driving thing Gary! Hmmm...other things that aren't quite as cracked up as they used to be...

1.) Dating- Yeah, it's fun when your in high school but as an adult it can be so complicated!

2.) Work- It's just not as fun when you know what bills your working towards paying, as opposed to what shirt you'll buy with your friends at the mall this weekend!

3.) Cell Phones- Weren't really popular when I was a kid, but they are now and most kids can't wait to get one. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Sometimes I just wanna throw mine so everyone will just leave me be!

4.) Marriage- Do I need to explain?! lol

August 11, 2008 at 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, I was going to put marriage on my list but didn't want to come acrooss as bitter divorced guy.

I also like your cell phone. People are giving kids as young as 8-yrs old their own cell phone.

YEs work. I wanted to get a job to have my own money. Now I have a job to give other people my money.

August 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about when your a kid everything is SO exaggerated, so much bigger and better!

Let's see..My grandparents were rich (Now I realize that most barbers aren't rich); The fair was HUGE..I think I walked through the thing front to back twice in ten minutes!; the toys at McDonalds were actually cool (I now wonder why they waste plastic on these things!)

Or is it that we are just not as simple-minded?!

Oh yeah...love the Marriage comment too Carol!

August 11, 2008 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger Gary Kuhn said...

I like your idea Misty. Remember those long rides you took as a kid...now you realize they are only 30-min. trips.

From North Ridgeville to Geauga Lake seemed like an all day trip...as an adult I know it is only 35-miles apart.

As a kid eating a big mac made you feel like you accomplished something. As an adult the sandwich either got smaller or us bigger.

Keep them comming.

August 11, 2008 at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home